How to Film in the Winship Drama Building

Current students attending The University of Texas at Austin may film on university property for a class project assigned by a faculty member for a grade. All film projects must secure approval to film in the Winship Drama Building by Department of Theatre and Dance (David Thomases, Assistant Operations Manager, Filming must not be disruptive, violate any other university rules, inconvenience members of the university community or create a safety hazard. Students may also be granted permission to film on behalf of Registered Student Organizations if the footage will be posted solely to the student organization's UT-hosted website or social media pages. 

In either of these instances, please follow the steps outlined below:

  1. If you are interested in filming inside the Winship Drama Building, please fill out and submit this form (hyperlinked) at least two weeks prior to your preferred film date.
  2. In all instances, students must secure a release from the on-camera individuals, utilizing this form (hyperlinked). After distributing the form to your collaborators, contact Sydney Pattillo to ensure that all individuals have filled out said form (please provide a full list of all involved along with your request). 
  3. You must secure all permissions for the space you would like to film in. If you would like to reserve a room in the Winship Drama Building for filming, please follow the steps laid out on the room reservation page.
  • Please note: All requests for reserving outdoor spaces, including outside of the Winship Drama Building, must be submitted through Student Activities.
  • For rules and regulations regarding all other locations on campus, reference the University Communications website.

Students wishing to film for other, non-academic or student organization-based projects should review the University Communications Filming Guidelines for Non-News Filming page.

Please note that University rules prohibit filming commercials or advertisements on university property, as well as filming that implies endorsement of a business or organization (including nonprofits).

University Communications - Filming Guidelines